Sunday, August 16, 2009

Toronto vs. Montreal


So, I was in Toronto, crashing at an old friend's place behind Chinatown.
Toronto never disappoints me.

I go to the Beaches during the day and I feel like I'm in Venice, CA:
the boardwalk, the skatepark, the colorful parasols, the tramp stamps, haha.

At night, I'm heading out to 751. This grungy little place where the owner recognized my friends, but looked at me and said: "You're new, what can I get you hunny-bun?"
I don't remember the last time I was called hunny-bun, but I rolled with it.
Basked of Wings for $4. Sweeeet.

Skip to another night. We were at Sneaky Dee's and I was doing a fair bit of people-watching while my friend went nuts on her blackberry.
Time for Toronto hipsters vs. Montreal hipsters:
It's like if you took a Montreal hipster, ripped up his/her Urban Outfitters clothes a bit, made him/her a bit more punk, get'em tatted up (sleeves please) , don't let them shower for a few days - and there you have it: A hipster a la Toronto.

And of course, my last day in Toronto, we somehow end up at Dance Cave.
This place smells like sweat, cheap beer, puke, and dirty toilets. Ha. Except the music is soooo good. And you dance the night away or until some man in his middle life crisis approaches you wearing a ridiculous newsboy cap and a desperately button-down tropical t-shirt.
Wow. I'm really not making this sound like a place you want to end up.
But it IS just one of those places, you just find yourself singing to your own anthem song at last call.

But the nights didn't end when the bars and clubs close. Nope, not for us.
For two nights in a row, we hopped a fence (a frickin' tall one mind you) to get into an outdoor swimming pool. Stripped to underwear (some braver ones wore even less).
Finally beating the summer heat.

I had an amazing time. I got to live a little/dance a little.

But now I'm all partied out. I kinda just want to crawl back onto my couch in Montreal and watch Season 3 LOST.

No comments:

Post a Comment